“Is it cake time yet?”
It is winter here in Australia, all I want for my morning and afternoon tea is a piece of cake, spongy and not too sweet. So yeah, I decided to make a poppy seed loaf cake. Delicious, lemony and perfect for the weather. Two slices are good enough for me. How about you? Do you eat more than two slices with your tea? It’s such a delicious treat to share with your family or friends at home. Let them try, they are addictive. Or maybe you are trying to impress your friends with your Vegan cake recipe. Do it, yeah they will love it!
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
I have tried making this cake more than once. Amazingly, it always has the same texture. I frosted it with some vegan cheese and sugar for the topping. I added more almond and coconut flakes and decorated with some limes. Firstly, a poppy seed cake itself already tastes great and by adding more cream cheese, you will create an extra sweet and sour lemony taste. I used Sheese brand cream cheese for the topping. For the frosting, I added lemon juice, vanilla, and powdered sugar. A slice of poppy seed cake with cream cheese is the perfect combo!
I used super simple ingredients to bake this. It’s so basic and yeah it’s ‘VEGAN’. I know it’s crazy, you do not need an egg to make this. As you know that vegan cake is usually a bit harder to bake, but with these ingredients, I promise you it will not disappoint!
OH YEAH, This is the perfect loaf. It’s a cake, I think this time is healthier! Poppy seeds are good for you, they contain many important minerals such as iron, calcium, mangenizums, also can make your bones stronger. One teaspoon of poppy seeds is enough for you. For making this cake, I used 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of poppy seeds, as it is a big loaf cake, and spread it evenly.
THICK. DELICIOUS. SPONGY & LEMONY
POPPY SEED CAKE
2 1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar (raw/brown sugar)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 or 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 and 1/2 lemons worth of juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon of white vinegar
1 & 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup canola oil
CREAM CHEESE ICING
255g Vegan cream cheese
4 tablespoons powdered sugar (As needed)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 lemon worth of juice
- Place a baking paper onto the cake loaf pan. Grease with some vegan butter. Add flour on top of the butter, and move your cake pan around to spread the flour evenly
- Pre-heat your oven. My oven is a fan forced oven, so the temperature will be 160C for 30-50 mins. For a non fan-forced oven – 180C for 20-30 mins
- Prepare the ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients first. In a bowl, shift your flour around, add sugar, add baking soda, salt and poppy seeds
- Add the wet ingredients such as lemon juice, vinegar, almond milk and canola oil in the same bowl with the dry ingredients
Mix the ingredients above with a hand mixer for 30sec to 1 minutes until it is smooth and leaves no bubbles
- Pour the the cake mix onto a cake loaf pan, and bake for 30-45 minutes (my oven takes longer to bake. if you do have an oven like me (a fan forced oven). Then, after the 30 mins of baking, It is recommended to check the dough regularly to ensure the cake is cooked on the inside. If it’s not ready yet, bake it for 10-20 mins more. If you have a non fan forced oven, you only need to bake this for 25-30 mins. Use a skewer to check there is no soft dough left and the cake is well cooked on the inside. The cake will look a little browned and smell lemony
- When it’s done, place the baked cake onto a cooling pan, wait until it is cool completely before icing
- In a bowl, prepare the cream cheese icing. Mix the ingredients such as cream cheese, vanilla extract, sugar, and lime juice. Blend with a hand mixer for 30sec to 1 minutes, until it’s creamy and a little liquidy
- Apply the icing on top of the cool cake, let it sit for a couple of hours, or put it in the fridge until the icing sticks to the cake
Decorate with some almond flakes or limes (as needed) enjoy!